Friday, October 2, 2015

Psalm 3: Save Me, O My God

Read Psalm 3 in your Bible.

David wrote this psalm in regards to his fleeing from Absalom, which is recorded in 2 Samuel 15-18.  This psalm can therefore be applied to anyone who has experienced betrayal.  David’s enemies were not only numerous, but they were also attempting to undermine his faith.  Every Christian experiences this at least once in his or her life.  If it hasn’t happened to you yet, it will.  We have enemies everywhere.  They not only seek to destroy us (like ISIS currently), but our enemies also seek to undermine our faith (atheists like the infamous Richard Dawkins).  However, in spite of the war against us, like David, we have hope in the Lord’s presence and preservation.

A shield gives us the image of a shield in front of one’s body as it absorbs death-threatening blows in hand-to-hand combat.  Christ is our shield, for He took the blow of death for us, and we thus have hope in the resurrection of the dead (refer to Romans 6:3-7, 10-11).  While in the midst of persecution, we recall this hope and call upon the Lord for deliverance.  Indeed, He answers our call as we trust and rely on Him, just as David did on numerous occasions.  David’s confidence in the Lord’s preservation enabled him to sleep in spite of his life-threatening predicament.  When we face overwhelming worry, stress, and anxiety, many of us suffer from insomnia.  But complete confidence in the Lord’s preservation can soothe one’s mind and enable sleep.  How do we know that we can trust in His preservation?  Go back to the end of the second psalm:  “Blessed are all who take refuge in Him.”  There is no distinction.  Because we have the hope in Christ who is to come again, we can experience a lack of fear in spite of our thousands of enemies.  Anyone who is not in Christ is considered an enemy of God (James 4:4), and therefore our enemies.  So we are literally surrounded by enemies, both known and unknown.  But how many of us are afraid of this reality?  I’m not afraid because of the hope I have in Christ, and from God’s preservation in the past.  I know that He will continue to preserve me.  This is only possible through the peace of the Lord (John 14:27), and I pray that you all experience this peace.

We experience God’s preservation either through Him preserving our safety in the midst of trouble or danger, or by Him wiping out our enemies.  People use the existence of suffering as “evidence” of either God’s non-existence or that He is hateful or indifferent rather than loving.  Such people ignore the evidence of His preservation.  Let’s use World War II as an example.  The atheistic argument proposes that God allowed Hitler to reign, therefore God is either hateful, indifferent, or simply doesn’t exist.  (It is hilarious that those who don’t believe in God presume to fathom His character.)  However, is Hitler still in reign?  Obviously not, for through the efforts of the Allied Forces, God preserved His people (Jewish and Gentile alike).  Since the human concupiscence is to sin since childhood (Genesis 8:21), we have the natural tendency to view evil as an absence of God when God is always active.  Evil is not the absence of God altogether; it is the absence of God’s love and good in the human heart.  Where evil is present, God is not inactive.  Rather, it is where He is the most active, for no evil act lasts forever.  Just because we can’t immediately recognise His presence doesn’t mean He’s not there.

David accentuates our hope in Christ at the end of this psalm:  Salvation comes from God, which is effective through the works of Christ, in whom we have hope.

Psalm 3 Prayer
In the case that you fear for your safety, be it life-threatening or just from overwhelming worry, anxiety, or stress, here’s a prayer I’ve prepared:  Father, please keep me safe.  In Your mercy, preserve me.  I trust in Your preservation.  If it be Your will that I come home to You, so be it.  But if it be Your will that I continue to dwell amongst my enemies [or suffer through anxiety, etc.], I ask that You guard over me and grant me solace.

[If you suffer with insomnia]:  Father, like David, grant me Your peace so I may sleep, that I may battle this anxiety and continue my living tomorrow, and each day that follows.  Grant me rest, O Lord.  Help me to be resilient so that I may win the battle of anxiety.  Lord, thank You for Your preservation, and thank You for Your salvation through Christ.  In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment