Saturday, March 29, 2014

Faith Is A Gift, Not Something You Purchase

I have come across numerous Christians, and still do today, who become amazed at what "such great faith" I have.  They're astounded at my faith, as if it's something that I created.  Let me make it irrevocably clear:  I did not create my faith.  I did not get to where I am in life at the moment on my own.  Faith is a gift from God, and I got to where I am today and continue to progress with the strength of God, not mine alone.  Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith.  And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."  I shouldn't need to explain this passage, but I feel that I must.  Through faith in Jesus Christ we are saved — delivered unto salvation — at the expense of God's grace.  We didn't make any of this possible; it was all God, and it is therefore a gift.  As it is a gift, we have the choice of accepting it or rejecting it because of the free will given to us by God.  The former has its promises, and the latter has its consequences.  Accepting the gift is still not your own work, for it was given to you.  You didn't purchase the gift, but rather Christ paid the ransom for many (Matthew 20:28).

Just as the Word itself says in the aforementioned verse, it is a gift of God.  Any person who says otherwise admits an immediate contradiction of God's Word, and must be treated as heresy.  And as it says, faith is "not a result of works, so that no one may boast."  If I created my faith, I would be able to boast in my actions, my will, and the things that I have done to bless my life.  But no, that is not so.  I boast in God's actions, God's will, and the things that He has done to bless my life because of the gift He has given me, paid by the ransom of Jesus Christ.

People of all ages have stated their wonder at my faith, and then they find it as no surprise because I am a prospecting pastor.  I must be reiterate:  I did not create my faith.  But I must supplement something to this message:  You don't need to be a pastor in order to have astounding faith.  If you're Christian and you're reading this, you have the same gift I have.  My faith is no different than your faith; it is the same faith given by God.  How you choose to live in it on a daily basis is what can differ between us.  The only thing that's different is how you decide to respond in your faith, not faith itself.  Yes, as a prospecting pastor I may meditate on the Word and read the Word more than the average Christian, but what's stopping you?  You don't need to be called to the office of pastorship in order to constantly live in the Word.  All Christians should live in the Word constantly.  One's role in the Church should not determine how often one spends time in the Word and with God on a personal level.  All Christians have a purpose in God's will, not just pastors.  Romans 8:28, "We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose."  The subject of this verse is, "those who love God."  Who are these people?  You.  All Christians on the global level.  These people — all Christians — are "those who are called according to His purpose," and "all things work together for the good" of these people.  As united Christians, our purpose as a whole is to "make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything" Jesus has commanded us (Matthew 28:20).  As individuals, our purposes vary, which is something you discover on your own as you seek a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  I cannot tell you what that purpose is, and you cannot decide what that purpose is.  Rather, the Holy Spirit gives it to you (see 1 Corinthians 12:1-11).  Whatever gifts He gives you and whatever purposes, it all functions in one body, which the rest of First Corinthians 12 covers, but that's a topic for another day.  My personal purpose is to serve the Church, God's people, and to spread the Word as often and as much as I can.  My purpose may be a lot different from yours, but just because God has commanded me to be ordained as a pastor in the future doesn't mean that you, as a Christian and child of God just like I am, shouldn't constantly live in the Word, which means to meditate on it day and night (Psalm 1:2) and to read it frequently.  Stop being complacent and indolent and dedicate yourself to the Lord as a child of God must.

I preach this message today because I am sick of people marvelling at my faith when it's not something I created and then doing nothing to commit themselves more to the Lord.  It bothers me strongly when Christians are astounded at my faith.  Don't marvel at me; marvel at God and what He has done in my life.  Recognise that it is God who has done everything for me, and does everything for you.  Yes, my temperament of being self-disciplined coupled with self-determination plays as an effort to seek God, but that is something everyone can work at.  Also, it is God who does the work.  I wasn't always self-disciplined and determined to seek the kingdom of God.  For one, I used to be atheist; and two, once I accepted the gift of faith I was spiritually immature for a while.  My experiences in the army have helped with the formed character of self-discipline and self-determination, but my decision to seek first the kingdom of God is the primary role.  It's not the decision to seek God's kingdom that has enabled His blessings, but rather as that is a response to my gift of faith, God decided to work in me.  "For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose" (Philippians 2:13).  So you see, it is all God.  It is God who is working in me to desire His good purpose and to work for His good purpose.  I don't exist for myself; I exist for God.  I don't live for myself; I live for God.  I live to serve Christ and those I love — my family, friends, and brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment